Clutch Repair – Installation – Diagnostics
S.E. Portland and Clackamas OR
Clutches are found in manually shifted cars, otherwise known as “standards”. (Automatics typically use a system called a torque converter instead of a clutch) Your clutch works with your transmission and engine, transmitting energy from your engine to your wheels. Is your clutch squealing, slipping, smoking, or resisting shifting? Come see us today for a free clutch evaluation!
We service all makes and models of vehicles, foreign and domestic, in our clutch shop. Here at River City Transmissions, we specialize in clutch repair, clutch replacement, and new clutch installation. We believe in delivering only the best in quality car care, and we make sure you’re satisfied with the variety of clutch services we provide. We Provide a 2 Year – 24,000 Mile Warranty on ALL New Clutches!
What Causes Wear and Tear on Your Clutch
- Riding the clutch. While you should always engage your clutch smoothly (for the sake of everyone inside your car), just remember that when your clutch isn’t fully released, it’s in use! Don’t keep the clutch engaged at long stop lights, on hills, or in slow traffic.
- Shifting improperly. You need to be in gear before you let go of the clutch. Make sure the gear is fully engaged before releasing the clutch, and NEVER jam shift your gears.
- Burn-outs. There’s no faster way to burn out a clutch than to abuse it by burning out.
- Letting your friend drive your car. Do you know how they shift? Do they know how to shift? Unless you’ve seen them shift consistently and correctly, don’t risk your clutch.
- Increasing your engine’s power. This one is a little less common for most, but just remember: if you upgrade your engine, you have to upgrade your clutch, too!
When is it Time for Clutch Repair or Clutch Replacment?
- Clutch Slip: Is your engine unexpectedly revving while your car is in gear? The clutch disc is slipping.
- Clutch Vibration: When you engage the clutch from idling and start driving, does it shudder? The clutch could be contaminated by fluid or oil, or parts of your clutch could be so worn that they’re misaligned.
- Clutch Smoke: This is an easy one. Is there a burnt smell coming from your clutch? A burning clutch smells like nothing else in a car–you’ll know it when you smell it.
- Clutch Stiffness: This is a little harder to distinguish, but it’s just as important as the rest of these signs. If your clutch feels harder than normal, or isn’t allowing for smooth engagement when initially shifting, you have a clutch problem.
Common Problems with Clutches and Components
Like most parts on your vehicle, your clutch needs proper care and maintenance. Typically, you should be able to drive approximately 80,000 miles before needing a clutch replacement. However, if you are rough on your clutch or do not take proper precautions, they can start to malfunction at 35,000 miles. Proper care and maintenance are crucial in the longevity of your clutch. Clutches can vary quite a bit over the make/model of a car, but common problems with clutches and the clutch support systems include:
- Air in hydraulic line
- Broken or stretched clutch cables
- Malfunctioning slave and/or master clutch cylinders
- Misadjusted linkage
- Mismatched clutch components
- Worn out clutch discs
Our Clutch Service Guarantee
We believe in transparency, and promise to always be honest about the repairs performed on your vehicle. Our new clutches are guaranteed for two years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. River City Transmissions prioritizes our customers’ needs, making sure you have the best auto repair service possible. Our customer service is focused on taking care of our friends and neighbors, and a high percentage of our business is from repeat customers and referrals.
Clutch Repair IN PORTLAND OR AND VANCOUVER WA
Serving Clients in Oregon and Washington: